The IncredibLees



The Misadventures of a family of superheroes forced
to hide their secret super identities starring
"Mao Tse" Hannah (6-1/2),
Chris (8), John (also 8), Liz & Jeff

     
                       

Friday, June 24, 2005

Update

Hey, everybody. No stories today (unless I go off on a tangent, what are the odds of that?) It's just been a while since I put anything up, so I thought I would let you know how things have been here the past couple weeks.

I thought about doing a timeline post on the kids going to bed, noting times and events that are delaying their actual going to sleep. Aw, what the heck, I'll give you the Reader's Digest condensed version here, sans timeline. It begins when I actually get them into their beds, and continues for anywhere from half an hour to an hour:

Hannah: I have to say goodnight to Daddy.
Hannah: I have to tell you something.
Hannah: I have to tell you something else.
Chris: I'm thirsty.
John: I'm thirsty, too.
John: I have to go poopies.
Hannah: Where's John?
John: I'm done going poopies.
Chris: I have to go poopies.
Chris: I was wrong.
John: Twenty questions.
Chris: Long, rambling story.
Hannah: I need toilet paper for my peepees.
Mom: Why is Hannah in your bedroom, Boys?
Hannah: I have to tell you something.
John: I think I saw a spaceship.

So, that night, after the spaceship comment, I decided to keep pad and pen with me and write down the times and delay tactics of the kids. But the next day, the more I thought about it, the stronger my resolve got to put an end to that kind of bedtime ritual. That night, they were not only quiet, but asleep in under half an hour. They didn't call out to me thirty times, the boys didn't horse around in their rooms, Hannah didn't sneak out of her room. Since then, I have managed to shave off five minutes every night. The times, they are a' changin'.

Side anecdote: John was eating a popsicle, and I gave him a bowl to put it in when he needed his hands free for this or that. He asked me (I heard), "Mom, what's a bowl?" I said, "You know what a bowl is! You're holding it in your hands!" "No," he said, "..a (bull), you know, with the handles on his head?"

The first week of swim lessons went great. Their teacher, Miss Julie, is wonderful. Chris is a natural. After only four lessons, he is swimming with his face submerged, unsupported! All by himself!!! Hannah is right on target, as is John, with the exception that he doesn't want to put his whole face in the water.

Work is going great for Jeff, they're getting busier and busier. Uncle John came to visit us last Saturday. We are all so thrilled to have John and (soon) Melinda living so close now.

Hey, if you haven't talked to us in a while, give us a call. The pace around here is pretty hectic, and I don't often think to pick up the phone to make a call. Mornings are usually best.

A big Thank You to Marilyn for the Rose of Sharon starters she sent us! They are planted and being nurtured. We look forward to their beautiful blooms (in a few years, I know -- we're patient!)

3 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home