The IncredibLees



The Misadventures of a family of superheroes forced
to hide their secret super identities starring
"Mao Tse" Hannah (6-1/2),
Chris (8), John (also 8), Liz & Jeff

     
                       

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Pamper Me

I know y'all are just DYING to hear how the Kindergarten Orientation went on Thursday, but it was really quite uneventful, so instead, I bring you Diaper Day.

Child psychologists tell you it is quite common for children to regress into behaviors of their earlier years at times of great change, such as entering Kindergarten. This morning, John and Hannah decided that they were babies again. Chris, instead of regressing, has progressed into the role of their father. It is my layman's opinion that this turn of events has nothing to do with starting school next week, and everything to do with the fact that they stumbled across the long-forgotten stash of Pull-Ups and OverNights that I had tucked away on the shelf of Hannah's closet.

So, what does one do once they have rediscovered their infancy and have donned "dipies?" Why, they pee, of course! Hannah was able to accomplish this early on, before I suspected she would actually do it. Daddy Chris was responsible for changing her diaper (YES!), and once this task was done, Hannah stood next to me and I saw a far-away look in her eyes I haven't seen in about a year and a half. She was TRYING to pee in her "dipey" again. Incredulous, I said to her, "You're TRYING to pee, aren't you? I know you are, because I can see you making your trying-to-pee face!"

At this point, I took away their remaining Pull-Ups and OverNights, explaining that they can't waste them, they're very expensive. Huh? I don't know why I said that -- it's not like we need them anymore. But that started a new conversation with John. I told John when he was little, we went through thousands of diapers. He asked how we got so many diapers -- were we rich? So I told him, "Yes, back then Daddy and I both worked so that we could buy diapers."

You know, when you do the math... three kids, 2-1/2 years or so, maybe eight changes a day, that's around 25,000 diapers. Whenever someone scoffs that they are underpaid, from now on I'm going to retort, "Oh yeah? Well I was working for diapers!"

3 comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, September 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are both funny and weird at the same time, but in a good way.

     
  • At 9:55 PM, September 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I ever have kids, I'm going to try using cloth diapers. I know...I say that NOW...

     
  • At 7:01 AM, September 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dudette, I'm dying to know how school is going?

    Has John spotted you in the hallway again? Has Chris found a girlfriend yet?

    These are the important qualities of life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home